[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 02:23:14 PST 2005

Stefan wrote:
>  > And along with the Andalusian Mustard Sauce, i made an olive oil-wine
>  > vinegar-murri dressing, as suggested in many recipes. I used Japanese
>  > soy sauce in place of murri, based on Charles Perry's remarks that he
>  > made murri *from scratch* the fermented barley way, and that it
>  > tasted like soy sauce. I note that several recipes in the Andalusian
>  > cookbook said NOT to use "fake" murri (i really need to check the
>  > exact wording, since that is not it). I added smashed garlic, not
>  > onion, since i decided to do it at the last minute and didn't have
>  > any more onions on hand, but did have garlic. I thought it was great
>  > on the lamb.
>
>So, you had your salad dressing on your lamb? :-)
>
>Could you (or anyone else) give the original description/recipe for
>this salad dressing. I remember references to oil and vinegar salad
>dressing, but I don't remember much about additional ingredients.

Nope, not salad dressing, but a sauce recommended in various forms in
the Anon. Andalus. Cookbook for meat balls and meat sausages. I will
send quotes later - it's way past my bedtime, but i'm wired on
homemade hot chocolate.

>Does anyone else have some references to specific period salad
>dressings? I've got a fairly large salad file in the Florilegium.
>Perhaps it would be nice to have a companion, salad-dressings-msg file
>if enough of such things exist.

The several recipes i'm familiar with say to dress the greens with
oil, vinegar, and salt (and maybe pepper). I recall it specifically
from Form of Cury (on my website, but inaccessible until Feb 1
because usage has exceeded my allotted bandwidth), and ISTR it in
other later cookbooks.

Anahita