[Sca-cooks] bread and butter

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 21:40:05 PST 2005

Gunthar commented and asked a number of questions:
> The only things I recall being put out with bread were salt and
> mustards. Basically
> putting out the condiments. I vaguely recall hearing of a document
> which
> referred
> to people putting butter on bread but this was mentioned with the same
> kind
> of superior attitude as a Bostonite seeing an Arkansas hillbilly family
> smearing bacon fat on corn pone.
>
> <snip of various questions>
>
> Geez....I'm beginning to sound like Stefan here.
Er, maybe. But Stefan in this case is going to point to this file in
the Florilegium where various period quotes are given about serving
butter on bread, mostly in northern, rather than southern Europe. It
can still be argued whether some of this is eating bread with butter,
compared to spreading the butter on the bread and eating it. Or even if
bread was eaten with butter spread on it, just how common this was.
butter-msg       (130K)  9/ 9/04    Period butter. Making butter.
Butter churns.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/butter-msg.html

Stefan
--------