[Sca-cooks] Cincinnati Chili

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 30 14:11:35 PST 2005

My computer did something naughty on Thursday, and i just got it back
last night, so i'm behind in posting and in reading...

Anyway, not having the computer yesterday, i turned on the TV *during
the day*!!! Not a complete waste... i was actually using it as
background to some needlework.

I watched our local PBS station, and Saturday morning is non-stop
food shows until, oh, around 2 PM, while the late afternoon is all
remodeling and furniture building.

One of the shows, the title of which i don't recall, but is IIRC the
TV arm of Cooks Illustrated, featured Cincinnati Chili in one of its
segments (mild chili over spaghetti). Talk about synchronicity!

I'll see if i can find the website... where the recipe is purported to be.

One of the *key* steps to making the dish was boiling the ground
beef, leaving it in the "worms" that come out of the grinder.

Their sauce was possibly a bit zingier than it is in Cincinnati, and
featured, among its seasonings, cocoa powder (inspired by mole, i
guess).

Anahita