[Sca-cooks] period doughnuts: Klyner & Fattigmann Bakkels Recipes

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 13:58:33 PST 2005

Thought perhaps I should post Klyner recipe.  I am reposting the one from Capt. Elias for Fattigmann Bakkels for comparison.  These would seem to be a bit earlier, except perhaps for the addition of brandy.  Samrah

Klyner

1/2 cup butter or margarine (usually Nucoa)
1 cup sugar
Cream as for cookies.

Add:  3 eggs
Mix

Add: 1/4 cup cream
Mix

Mix the following dry ingredients together then add:
3-1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoon  baking powder
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients.  Some folks like to refrigerate the dough here for about an hour if it is softer than you would like to roll.  (Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  I can be a rather haphazzard cook when the fate of the worlde, or the recipe, does not hang in the balance).

Roll out 1/4" thick.  Cut in diamond shapes, approximately 2" x 1" (or so).  Cut slit in center in direction of longest point of diamond leaving about 1/4" uncut on either end.  Pull one of the points on top or bottom of slit thru slit.

Deep fat fry.  I suspect at about 350 degrees for a couple minutes.  Sorry folks.  I've done this one too long to be explicit.  Depends on what sort of equipment I have available.  Often pot of oil on stove, heated 'til drop of water sizzles, then drop cookie in until it turns a darkish (but not burned) golden brown. Drain on a couple paper towels.

Dust with powdered sugar while still hot.  Last time I used plain old sugar and was just as happy with the results.

Here is Capt. Elias' recipe for Fattigmann Bakkels from his Norse in-laws as originally posted 12/19/04.  Question for the Capt.:  What sort of Norse are your in-laws?  The Klyner is Danish.

FATTIGMANN BAKKELS (POOR MAN'S COOKIES)

8 egg yolks

4 oz sugar

5 fl oz whole cream(no substitutes)

2 tbsp brandy (or Cognac)

1 tsp cardamon-ground

(Note from Elias: double or triple this amount

if you are using supermarket cardamon, It is not

usually very fresh, and it gets weak fast. Fresh cardamon is

best if you can get it.)

approx. 10-12 oz flour AP

Crisco or simular (non flavored) to deep fry in (these

cakes are prone to pick up any old flavor left in the

frying pot)

Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick.

Whip cream until stiff and add carefully with

the brandy.Sift in 2/3 of the flour and all

the cardamon. Mix gently and carefully.

Cover dough with sifted flour cover with plastic

wrap and cool overnight in fridge.

Next day:

Roll out portions of the dough at the time,

VERY THINLY dusting with flour sparingly.

Cut into diamonds.

Here is where the hard part comes (as far as

explaining goes): In the center of each diamond

make a cut with a sharp knife about 1 inch

long. Gently take one of the pointed ends of

the diamond and pull through the cut - you will

end up with a twisted cake/cookie.

(Second note from Elias: In Scandinavia they use a

kind of roller cutter which cuts the diamonds and slots

doe several cookies at a time in a single operation.

You can get this from Maid of Scandinavia, or Sweet

celebrations whatever they call themselves these days. I

vastly prefer using one.

http://www.sweetc.com/Cat/Set3/pr32lg.htm )

Drop the cake into hot oil, the cake will puff

when it hits the oil. Turn over when one

side has browned, they should be a golden brown

color when done, fry no more than 4-5 at a time.

Drain on paper. Sprinkle with Confectioners sugar

Store in air tight container.

Capt Elias

-Renaissance Geek of the Seven Seas