[Sca-cooks] Hasenpfeffer in Rumpolt was Sauerbraten etc

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 19:29:54 PST 2005

Master A, you asked for it, Rumpolt got it (well sort
of)

Rumpolt contains 20 rabbit recipes and as I was
reading through them for something that might fit the
bill I found  #11 (translating on the fly)  Mind you,
I did the transcription for Thomas, and I never
noticed the term go by.  Guess I had the wrong brain
switched on. ;-)
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/rumphase.htm

# 11 Yellow (implying saffron) preserved (prepared)
rabbit.  Take blood from a rabbit/ and the whole
rabbit/ when you him have undressed (skinned and
gutted?)/ stick him on a spit/ and roast him till he
is done/ take the blood/ and a good beef broth/ and
vinegar/
Cut therein onion/ bread/ and an apple or two/ let it
therewith simmer/ strain (stroke) the blood through a
hair cloth (fine sieve) / take small chopped onion/
that is well sweated in a butter/ or pork fat/ make it
(season it) with pepper/ cloves/ and crushed cinnamon/
put them into the rabbit blood/ let them come to a
boil therewith/ so it becomes lovely and good/  will
(like) you make it sour/ or sweet leave it.  Take
thereafter the roasted rabbit/ cut him to pieces/ and
put him in the blood/ serve with the sudt (cooking
liquid – not sure I would use the word sauce here)/ so
it is a good Hasenpfeffer (!!!!!! RUMPOLTS  term!!! )
You can such a roasted rabbit also cook in a scraping
(gescharb – small minced or scraped veggies or
fruits)/ be it almonds or apples/ be it at banquets or
weddings/ so the womenfolk like to eat it.

So Rumpolt actually calls it Hasenpfeffer, but it is
not marinated and braised, but roasted and then
simmered in a liquid of blood and broth and vinegar
with spices.

Several other rabbit recipes use the roast and
seasoned liquid with vinegar and pepper technique but
only #11 is called Hasenpfeffer

For #2 you wash the cubes of rabbit in water and
vinegar to remove the blood then simmer them in blood
thickened with bread, with apples and onions, bacon
fat, pepper and cloves,
or (one recipe 2 variations) with blood and water and
vinegar “but it is better if you have cold beef broth”
and then the same general ingredients and seasonings
with the note  make it sour or sweet.

For #16 you take the back end of the rabbit roast it a
little, chunk it/ then simmer with broth onion,
vinegar, pepper, a little saffron and some juniper
berries.

In Service
Gwen Cat
PS, #20 is for a rabbit that is pregnant, what to do
to serve the unborn young ...