[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef America...redux!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jan 1 22:08:24 PST 2005

Also sprach Phlip:
>A, I saw both battles with Morimoto. He lost the first one legitimately, and
>insulted every Japanese there when he climbed up on the counter with his
>shoes on the cutting board, to do a "victory" salute to himself.
>
>Next battle, after all his whining got him a rematch, he did just as poorly,
>only this time in Japan, he threw the cutting board on the floor before he
>climbed up on the counter- and he "won" only because the Japanese gave it to
>him to save face.
>
>In the Masters battles, the Japanese lost every time. I cannot believe that
>that little twit could out cook Sakai, under any circumstances. What makes
>it particularly suspicious, is that when he and Morimoto went against Sakai
>and Batali. There is no way in Hel those two could beat either Sakai or
>Batali- Batali may LOOK like a chipmunk, but the man can cook.
>
>Hel, _I_ could outcook that idiot Flay, and I'm certainly nothing akin to a
>prefessional cook.
>
>And, FYI, the Chairman is/was a professional actor, not a wealthy eccentric-
>he's fairly well known in Japan for, among other things, doing Shakespeare.
>Not sure where his "nephew" comes from, but odds are he too is an actor, and
>from the looks of things, the entire show will be a set up as blatant as
>professional wrestling.

You and Margali both need to hunt down and rent a copy of Stephen
Chow's "The God Of Cookery", which is basically a spoof of Iron Chef,
with fun nods to kung-fu movies in which the combatants have to
announce the elaborate names for their techniques as they're doing
them "(Shaolin Nine-Fisted Saute Technique!!!"), the incredibly
pompous, unqualified and sycophantic judges, everything.

Basically, it concerns Iron Chef China (although for purposes of our
story he's The God Of Cookery) being railroaded by unscrupulous
vendors and a traitorous assistant into a well-deserved, if
smashingly total and very public, defeat, and his decision to go back
to basics and attend a cooking school in the remote countryside,
which, through some administrative error, turns out to actually be
the Shaolin monastery. Hijinks ensue until our hero emerges, humbled,
reformed, and much bruised, to compete for his title again.

I suppose it's sort of an acquired taste, but boring, it's not. ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04