[Sca-cooks] Re: Meat Loaf

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 2 18:25:11 PST 2005

'Lainie scripsit:

> Really doesn't need anything on top, and people who put ketchup on it
> *before even tasting it!* really annoy me... ;-)

I suppose it depends on the meat loaf. My mother's meat loaf was a typical
50s recipe. I don't remember exactly what was in it, but it had ground beef
and white bread soaked in milk (but no onions) formed into a loaf shape and
baked on a roasting pan with tomato sauce on top. It was dense and heavy and
absolutely awful served hot -- my brothers and I drenched it with ketchup to
make it edible. But it made the most remarkable meat loaf sandwiches! On
good bakery white bread, with ketchup and Hellman's mayo. Now *that* is
comfort food.

Tom loves meat loaf. When we discovered his beef allergy, I converted all my
beef-pork-veal recipes to ground turkey. The turkey makes a slightly softer
loaf, and a 1 1/2 pound turkey loaf bakes for about 10 minutes less than a
beef-pork-veal loaf so you have to partially cook the onions first, but as
this requires about 40 seconds in the microwave it is not a big deal.
Otherwise turkey makes a very good meat loaf. Don't use ground turkey
breast, though, as the resulting loaf is way too dry.

Cynara