[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef America...redux!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Jan 2 20:18:34 PST 2005

> Well, I was joking (see Bonds, Barry, Giambi, Jason, etc.; the whole
> baseball-players-on-steroids thing). However, Bobby Flay just doesn't
> seem to have a clue as to how to act, and although a sharp
> entrepreneur and, arguably, showman, doesn't know much about food
> outside of a very tight focus acquired more from market research than
> any love of cooking. Let's just say he has built up some culinary
> capital and he intends to spend it: everyone I know who has dealt
> with him personally (myself included) has had to spend precious time
> listening to his "no, I really am a real chef -- honest" act. He
> should go into some field where false bravado is more of an asset.
> Like politics ;-).

Watching it, Sarah, Christopher and I were all pretty convinced that we
would never want to cook in a kitchen with Bobby Flay. I thought that
Marimoto should have gotten some sort of token for not killing him,
considering the number of times the poor guy had to intervene in a
disaster caused by Flay's idiocy. On the other hand, the Italian guy
seemed to be pretty good about sharing a kitchen with someone else.

Flay reminded me vividly of the squire-autocrat that a friend of mine
did a feast for, who complained that there was not enough meat in the
menu (there was only 30 lbs left over) and generally made a nuisance of
himself while claiming that he could cook better than anyone in the
Kingdom.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_