[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef America...redux!

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 2 05:40:29 PST 2005

> Well, I was joking (see Bonds, Barry, Giambi, Jason, etc.; the whole
> baseball-players-on-steroids thing). However, Bobby Flay just doesn't
> seem to have a clue as to how to act, and although a sharp
> entrepreneur and, arguably, showman, doesn't know much about food
> outside of a very tight focus acquired more from market research than
> any love of cooking. Let's just say he has built up some culinary
> capital and he intends to spend it: everyone I know who has dealt with
> him personally (myself included) has had to spend precious time
> listening to his "no, I really am a real chef -- honest" act. He
> should go into some field where false bravado is more of an asset.
> Like politics ;-).
>
> I was surprised to hear some nebulous complaints about Mr. Battali
> (from my niece, who worked as a waitress in one of the restaurants he
> was involved in), but I've always liked his work.
>
> Adamantius

Yeah, after I sent my reply off, my husband pointed out that that's what
you were doing.  Not knowing the "lingo", I missed your humor...but get
it now.  I still stand by what I said.  After watching the last part
where the pairs of chefs competed, I still stick by what I said...Flay
is only in it for self-aggrandisement and really doesn't have a clue
about how to cook a variety of styles or how to work with others.  The
mutual respect between Sakai and Battali was quite obvious even though
there was a language barrier, whereas what you saw between Flay and
Morimoto was really more "show" than "go".

Kiri