[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef America...redux!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jan 1 21:51:37 PST 2005

Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>>Also sprach Phlip:
>>
>>>Also, while I mostly enjoyed the Battle, I'm pretty well convinced that the
>>>"winner" was pre-chosen to give the new series a boost- there's no way in
>>>Hel that little twit Flay could out-cook Sakai. Look at the nasty 3 plop in
>>>an iron skillet Flay presents as one of his dishes, and you'll know it was
>>>fixed.
>>>
>>>"Creativity" my tuchus.
>>

>>Bobby Flay not only was caught using a corked chef's knife last
>>year, but is alleged to have used spices provided by a personal
>>trainer with ties to Balco. He needs to be expelled from any future
>>Iron Chef competitions to restore the clean image of the sport in
>>the eyes of impressionable children and other cooks.
>>
>>Adamantius
>
>I really do agree.  I was not aware of what you describe, but I have
>always thought that there was more of the opportunist to him than
>genuine chef/culinary artist.  I have hopes that, even though he is
>participating here as an "Iron Chef", the show will still have some
>veracity, with the presence of Puck and Battali, not to mention
>Alton Brown.

Well, I was joking (see Bonds, Barry, Giambi, Jason, etc.; the whole
baseball-players-on-steroids thing). However, Bobby Flay just doesn't
seem to have a clue as to how to act, and although a sharp
entrepreneur and, arguably, showman, doesn't know much about food
outside of a very tight focus acquired more from market research than
any love of cooking. Let's just say he has built up some culinary
capital and he intends to spend it: everyone I know who has dealt
with him personally (myself included) has had to spend precious time
listening to his "no, I really am a real chef -- honest" act. He
should go into some field where false bravado is more of an asset.
Like politics ;-).

I was surprised to hear some nebulous complaints about Mr. Battali
(from my niece, who worked as a waitress in one of the restaurants he
was involved in), but I've always liked his work.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04