[Sca-cooks] Compost (was Re: Traveling Dysshes)

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Jan 4 14:02:08 PST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>> But that reminds me of a recipe that is NOT in Travelling Dysshes,
>> one that i found on the web by some SCAdian. It's a recipe for a
>> vegetable side dish of freshly cooked carrots in honey sauce - and it
>> purports to be based on the Compost recipe from Form of Cury- but
>> that is certainly not what Compost is.
>
> That's the strange interpretation of PART of the compost recipe out of
> Le menagier. It keeps cropping up. Some people on the list say that you
> can take parts of that recipe separately, but I'm not convinced. I'm
> pretty sure it's a mixed compost where you start with wal=nuts.

Actually, the compost recipe in Form of Cury doesn't mention walnuts at
all - though it does contain many of the same ingredients as the recipe
in Menagier and is most certainly not just cooked carrots in honey
sauce.

103 Compost. Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scrape hem
and waische hem clene. Take rapes & caboches, ypared and icorue. Take
an erthen panne with clene water & set it on the fire; cast alle þise
þerinne. Whan þey buth boiled cast þereto peeres, & perboile hem wel.
Take alle þise thynges vp & lat it kele on a faire cloth. Do þereto
salt; whan it is colde, do hit in a vessel; take vyneger & powdour &
safroun & do þerto, & lat alle þise thynges lye þerin al nyght, oþer al
day. Take wyne greke & hony, clarified togider; take lumbarde mustard &
raisouns coraunce, al hoole, & grynde powdour of canel, powdour douce &
aneys hole, & fenell seed. Take alle þise thynges & cast togyder in a
pot of erthe, & take þereof whan þou wilt & serue forthe.   [Curye on
Inglish, Constance B. Hieatt & Sharon Butler (eds.)]

- Doc

--
"English wine is more fit to be sieved rather than drunk."