[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Jan 5 07:46:06 PST 2005

>One thing to consider is that a commercial (supermarket)
>cider will include a preservative.

This is not always true...
Supermarkets nearly always get their ciders from local suppliers when available.
The use of preservatives is controlled on a state by state basis.

Here in Connecticut, for example, it is commonly sold pasteurized without preservatives (though some supermarkets wind up importing cider form other states as they run bare -usually about spring.
Local Cider warehousing here is done by freezing the fresh juice, and it generally thaws in the truck to market. Our Local Shaws is ciurrently selling pasteurized witout preservatives.

In NY state, you cant even get it at the roadside stands without the preservatives added.

>Check with a cider mill about getting cider without _any_
>preservative.  This could be very difficult as I understand
>some mills add the preserving agent to the _apples_ before
>crushing them to mash.  i.e. a complete equipment washdown
>in _advance_ of crushing might be needed to eliminate it.

Local health codes may also apply to this, as well, so Cidermills may be unwilling to risk their health certs and closure for the sale of a dozen or so (or less) gallons of unadulterated juice.

In this case you might consider pressing your own cider.

It can be done using some basic gear that will set you back about a hundred dollars or so. (plus the cost of a food mill or food processor)

You need:
4 clean 2x4s 18 inches in length (not pressure treated or painted)
4 clean 2x4s 22.5 inches in length (not pressure treated or painted)
A clean piece of 3/4 plywood 2 foot square (you can get these off the shelf at your local home store)
Three food grade buckets (such as brewing buckets)
10 Bricks
Heavy Duty Aluminum foil
12 Stainless wood screws #12 X 1 1/2
Cheese Cloth

tools you need
Screwdriver for screws
Drill
1/8 drill bit
3/8 drill bit
1 1/2 inch Hole saw

Assembly:
1) drill three 1/8 holes 3/4 of an inch in from each edge of the plywood
2) Align the 4 clean 22.5 inch 2x4s around the edges of the plywood.
One end of each 2x4 will fit all the way over to each corner.
3) Screw the 2x4's in place using screws through the pilot holes in the plywood
4) Using the Hole Saw and the drill cut 1 1/2 inch hole throughte center.
5) Take one bucket and perforate the bottom and up the sides for four inches with the drill and a 3/8 drill bit

You are ready to go

To use:
1) Place the tray squarely on top of one of the buckets.
2) Make a small "funnel" with foil and place it through the center hole of the tray, pressing down flat any foil that is above the surface.
3) Line the tray with Foil, makign sure to overlay in such a way as to fully cover all the inside surfaces with foil. using a sharp knife, make a small "x" through the hole in the center and push the foil through to fully open the hole (beiugn careful not to damage the "funnel"
4) Tightly cover two of the remaining 2x4's with foil and place them about 6 inches apart on either side of the hole
5) Set the perforated bucked on these two by fours.
6) Line the perforated bucket with Cheese cloth
7) Proceed to coarsely grind or mill your apples (a turn or two in the food processor is sufficient), placing the resultant mush in the cheese cloth lined bucket.
8) When you have filled the bucket about halfway, fold the cheese cloth over the top, Laying on another piece if necessary to cover the mush.
9) Put the third bucket into the perforated bucket.
10) Tightly cover the bricks with foil and carefully place them one at a time into the bucket.
11) When the juice stops running out, remove the spent "cheese" and discard.

Repeat the process until you have enough.
I'd strongly consider taking the cider to 180 degrees for 10 minutes at least to kill some of the wierder wild microflora that might be a concern, especially if you do a lot of baking in the house.
Sulfites, if you can stand them, are a good thing too as apples tend to harbor a lot of wild yeasts and bacteria.

You can also use this process and Anjou pears to make a nice Perry,
Which is also very good.

Wyeast makes a very nice "cider" yeast, that does not obliterate the fruit flavors.

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas