[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Jan 5 06:12:49 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Some of you my remember my laments about not ever having
> gotten a hard apple cider to work out.

One thing to consider is that a commercial (supermarket)
cider will include a preservative.

The agent that promotes fermentation (yeast, or whatever)
and the preservative do not play well together -- the
preservative tends to win.

(visualize the wookie and the protocol robot playing chess
... ending with the line, "Let the wookie win!")

Check with a cider mill about getting cider without _any_
preservative.  This could be very difficult as I understand
some mills add the preserving agent to the _apples_ before
crushing them to mash.  i.e. a complete equipment washdown
in _advance_ of crushing might be needed to eliminate it.

The presensence of the preservative is similar to hearing
this greeting, "Hi, I'm here to help you.  I'm from the IRS."
Run away ... run away as fast as ... .

[snip]

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick