[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Wed Jan 5 15:04:48 PST 2005

Sigh... If I had a penny for every one of these stories...  The stories
are always fun to hear (and I've made a few stories myself) but they do
scare people away from what's an easy, rewarding hobby... Offering brews
at events is a great icebreaker and 'get to know you'.  I know a vast
chunk in lochac because of this strategy...

By all means people, brew lots, brew often...

Just keep these things in mind:

a) Use a hydrometer, measure at the start and end of the ferment. Don't
bottle actively fermenting things.  Grenades are NOT fun.

b) Stay clean and sterile.  You can't kill your self with the kind of
beer that might grow in a brew but you waste ingredients.

c) If making strong brew, ensure people know the %alc and no of standard
drinks per bottle...

All leads to responsible brewing...

Drakey.

Ps. Great story Morgan.  Better than the time I left two bottles of
Cherry Stout in the freezer and forgot about them overnight.  Bottle one
exploded, the force of the blast opening the freezer door.  The second
bottle then detonated, showering the kitchen in glass and frozen
stout...