[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jan 5 07:58:30 PST 2005

Also sprach Melanie Wilson:
>>I ran across a recipe one time, years ago, for making "soft" hard cider
>(something with a really low alcohol content), and it involved
>buying a jug of the unpasteurized apple cider (in the U.S., Mel,
>that's an unfermented beverage distinct from apple *juice*),
>
>How does it differ ?
>
>Squeeze apples unfermented is juice here :)

Mostly it seems to depend on the variety of apple and whether it's
filtered. My experience locally in the US is that in general, fresh
cider is unfiltered, thick, dark amber, and full (as you might
imagine), of apple bits. Essentially, apple must. Apple juice is
light amber, filtered crystal clear, and usually pasteurized.
However, in the late autumn and winter, you can get gallon jugs of
apple juice which is, mysteriously, labelled cider.

>  >Cotton balls prevent the ingress of dust and other nasties.
>And allows CO2 out
>
>>>.  Next time I'm in the UK, I *definitely* want to try some over there.

Some of the UK commercial ciders, such as Woodpecker (which are a
local "package store" staple in my neighborhood, not that anybody
calls them "package stores, but you probably know what I mean) can
have an unpleasantly "pickled" flavor, as if they were fermented dry
and then sweetened.

I also prefer Norman cider, but it's also quite likely that the
variety and quality of ciders available in the UK are far greater
than the imported stuff we can get, or the local products which are
largely imitations of the export-quality UK products.

Perry, on the other hand, is often available here and, while a little
too sweet, doesn't have that sweet-and-sour pickle thing going on.

>Hate UK cider but love Normandy :)

If I can find a dry version of the UK products (mostly I see
Woodpecker of the sweet variety, and a host of similar but
more-or-less-locally-produced stuff), it's usually all right. More of
the wine-like ciders from Normandy, New York State, and elsewhere are
becoming more available, though. I guess it largely depends on
whether you prefer cider that has a wine character or a beer
character.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782