[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Jan 5 14:58:00 PST 2005

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> > >However, in my experience, which is limited, and
> > therefore not necessarily exemplary, most folks in the
> > SCA just make what we call "cordial" - liqueur
> >
> > We have do various brews trying to replicate period
> > possibles, spirits were uncommon so why is this done ?
>
> It requires less work and less equipment than brewing.
> There are a lot of brewers out there in my kingdom,
> cordialmakers are generally dabblers (like me).

And also me.

> The other advantage of cordialmaking for the dabbler is
> that it is a static process and can be done in a small
> stable container that is tightly closed.

Warning, warning ... <g>

While macerating fruit (oranges in particular), I have seen
small amounts of secondary fermentation occur before the
strong spirits have soaked into the fruit enough to calm
the natural fermentation.  Not quite enough for an exciting
unexpected event in the kitchen, but I wouldn't want to say
that it never happens.

> Given the level of 'stuff' in the average SCAdian's house,
> non-brewers may not have a place to put a demijohn where
> it's safe and out of harm's way. I certainly don't, but
> then my house is full of food and clothes and books and
> herbs and spices and research papers and cooking gear
> and blankets...

... full of books and clothes and books and magazines and
computers and books and computer parts and books and
CD/VHS/DVD and books and tools ... and books.

> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> "I don't get the facts wrong.
> It's everything else I screw up."
>     -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_

Me too, some days.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick