[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 15:05:49 PST 2005

Not to mention that there are some states in the US, according to the head of our local brewing guild (she is very competent and I have no reason to doubt her), where any type of brewing activity is illegal.  Hard to believe, but true.  Had to do with the government's fear of losing tax revenue I believe.  Usually in areas that traditionally had a lot of moonshine going on.  Their brewing guilds only supposed have discussions of hypothetical brewing topics...  Very sad.

Samrah

Melanie Wilson <MelanieWilson at dragonflight.co.uk> wrote:

>However, in my experience, which is limited, and therefore not
necessarily exemplary, most folks in the SCA just make what we call
"cordial" - liqueur

We have do various brews trying to replicate period possibles, spirits were
uncommon so why is this done ?

[snipped

>Anyway, most folks in the US have a fear of bacteria and yeasts, so
most folks edge way from brewing and vintning - plus it's a fair bit
of work.

Having brewed most of my life generally I'd disagree there are odd moments
of time involved but I know many SCA folk used to spend hours days months
even on projects Compared to that dedication brewing is easy ;)