[Sca-cooks] Lemon Chicken [Was: pilgrims and travel foods]

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Jan 6 11:51:04 PST 2005

Greetings to the Cooks,

After Linda Peterson (mirhaxa at morktorn.com) asked a good
question, I revised the format of this recipe ...

>From the Southern China section,
"Fried Chicken Slices with Lemon Sauce"

INGREDIENTS:

2 whole skinned and boned chicken breasts or chicken
cutlets, uncooked

(to marinate chicken)
1 egg yolk
1 t salt
1 T Chinese rice wine
1 T light soy
1/4 t white pepper

(combined seasoning sauce)
6 T fresh lemon juice
6 T sugar
6 T chicken broth
1 t salt
1 T tapioca starch
2 t sesame oil

(to coat chicken before frying)
6 T tapioca starch
3 T water chestnut flour

(to garnish)
some Chinese parsley
6 lemon slices

PROCEDURES:

1. Cut chicken into thin slices 1.5in. wide by 2in. long.
Marinate with ingredients listed above.

2. Mix combined seasoning sauce in a bowl.

3. Mix the 6 T tapioca starch and and 3 T water chestnut
flour on a plate.

TO COOK:

4. Coat each piece of chicken with the starch and flour
mixture and deep fry the chicken slices over low heat for
about 2 minutes until golden brown.  Remove with a wire
strainer.

5. Heat the oil very hot.  Deep fry the chicken again for
10 to 20 seconds.  Drain and place on a plate.

6. Heat another 1T oil.  Stir-fry the combined seasoning
sauce, when it boils and thickens, pour the sauce over the
chicken slices.  Garnish with the Chinese parsley leaves
and lemon slices and serve hot.

NOTE: this dish can be cooked ahead of time up through step
4. Just before serving, follow the rest of the instructions.

The book does not say how many servings you can get.

I think it could be scaled up to feast size especially by
precooking as mentioned in the note.

Liang, Lucille; "Chinese Regional Cooking"
(Authentic Recipes from the Liang School);
pub. Sterling; 1979;
LC 79-65067; Sterling ISBN: 0-8069-0148-9 Trade,
Oak Tree 7061-2662-9, 0149-7 Library

Google's ravens found 317 hits by author and title

Abebooks.com had 17 copies at $7 to $25
(some signed by the author, as my hard cover copy is).

alibris.com had 8 copies also for $7 to $25

Most copies were in the US, some in UK; add S+H in all cases.

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Martin G. Diehl wrote:
> >
> > I often see 'Lemon Chicken' on Chinese menus.  They
> > serve something that fits your description except cut
> > into strips after cooking and with the breading
> > falling off.
> >
> > OTOH, I was taught to make Chinese Lemon Chicken this way,

Please see above for improved (and more complete) format.

[snip]

> > [I just checked my instructor's cook book ... which I
> > found the second time I looked in the first place I
> > looked <g> ...
> >
> > I had remembered it about 85% right ... forgotten
> > about the marinade and the use of tapioca starch,
> > water -- chestnut flour but corrected before SEND.
> >
> > Yes! kids! You are allowed to proofread before sending. <g>

I still order restaurant lemon chicken
... ever hoping ... always disappointed.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick