[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 18:47:49 PST 2005

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Making wine and beer at home for personal consumption is legal, but
> few people do it.

Waitaminnit..... last time I checked the American Home-Brewers Association stats, there were an
estimated 450,000 + homebrewers in the U.S., and that was about 8 years ago.  450K is just a
little bit more than 'few' :)  (notice the smiley....)

The SCA encourages home brewing, so there may be
> more people giving it a try in the SCA than in the general
> population.

I don't think so.  I think the reverse is probably true.

> However, in my experience, which is limited, and therefore not
> necessarily exemplary, most folks in the SCA just make what we call
> "cordial" - liqueur (vodka or brandy, occasionally rum or something
> else) with fruit and sometimes spices macerated in it for a long time
> to flavor it, sweetened most often with simple sugar syrup, aged for
> several months, and usually strained before serving.

Depends on where you are, I think, and what you consider 'brewing'.  The cordial crowd has it's
merits, but there are real 'brewers' out there who go the whole nine yards, and I'd wager they are
rapidly approaching the 'mixers' in number.  Just a gut feeling, though, based on the turnout at
the last Taste of Caid...

> Anyway, most folks in the US have a fear of bacteria and yeasts, so
> most folks edge way from brewing and vintning - plus it's a fair bit
> of work.

Not so fast... both of these statements are very broad generalizations.  'Some' folks in the US
have a fear of bacteria and yeasts, to be sure, but nowhere near 'most'.  And, home brewing is
really one of the easiest hobbies you can enjoy, if you stick to extract brewing.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.