[Sca-cooks] Getting raw apple juice was Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

MD Smith editor at costumepress.com
Fri Jan 7 04:19:45 PST 2005

 >" I * wish* I could get raw apple juice"

Um, why not just get a whole bunch of apples, run them through your food
processor in batches and strain?

On several occasions we have made arrangements with folks who have apple
trees in their yards to keep their lawns clear of dropped fruit and our
"pay" is as many apples from the tree as we want. The apples need to be
cut up to remove bruises/worms/cores etc., but otherwise they go
straight into the crockpots for apple butter making (Joy of Cooking,
baked apple butter recipe). One year I had 10 milk crates and half a
dozen grocery bags bulging with misc. apples lined up in the kitchen
waiting to become apple butter. That was from 2 trees and the grocery
store blemish bin!

BTW, we did this in towns where fruit trees were planted in the
front/back yards as a matter of routine 50+ years ago. Drive around your
town, especially down the alleys and you'll be surprised how many fruit
trees you see.

When I worked for an organic market, I got old/blemished fruit for
free/cheap. Maybe you can make an arrangement with your local produce
manager. That would certainly give you variety in your apples!

MD/Marged
in Cody WY where there are no persimmon trees