[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 6 23:48:30 PST 2005

Da replied (I think) to me with:
>  Is there not a barter trade network developed in the SCA?
>   " I * wish* I could get raw apple juice"
There is. But in this case I think it suffers from the same problems
that commerce did in medieval times.
I live quite a ways from the major apple growing regions in the United
States. These seem to be up in the north.  The shipping on this cider
as individual containers would be fairly expensive and subject to
breakage along the way. Also, this wouldn't make sense except for doing
with fresh cider. And in that case, there is a very good chance it
would start fermenting on the way and there isn't a good quarantee on
what you would get. It might be a good cider or it might be a good
apple cider vinegar or it might not.

However, as I think about it, using a pasteurized, non-preservative
bottle or frozen might be the way to go. Or since the Central Market
store, which you've heard me and Gunthar talk about, sells fresh
squeezed apple cider, and I think without preservatives and maybe
without pasteurization (I seem to remember the plastic jugs having
warning labels on them) that might be the way to go. And sometimes they
have apple juice/cider from specific apple types rather than the
generic juice. Probably modern hybrids like Granny Smith, and certainly
not from cider apples, but it would be a start.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com