[Sca-cooks] Water Purity (revisited)

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at dragonflight.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 23:50:12 PST 2005

>Actually I suggested that very title back on
Mon Dec 13 08:41:21 CST 2004

I believe that was before I was on this list :)

There are references concerned with dyers and water in medieval records from
time to time, and the pollution that it can cause (usually woad dyers
complaining about madder dyers or vice versa) but this might be a start.
Along similar lines to the refs sent before.

When I was in S France a while ago at a place high on a isolated hill, one
of the guide pieces mentioned that water had to be obtained for a source 4
miles away until some 50 years ago. As the place was at least medieval I
think this was probably true then.

Wells are seem during your SCA period and contamination of the water supply
during seiges practised, so I believe they had a good knowledge of the
results of contaminated water is not the cause in scientific detail

Mel

Company, unless specifically stated. You should not copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this e-mail or any of its attachments
without express consent