[Sca-cooks] Electric knives

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 10:07:48 PST 2005

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> I've worked with rotary slicers pretty extensively, and everything
> you say about them is true, when they're dull and need sharpening.
> One could argue that the rotary nature of the cut puts stresses on
> the food and tends to tear it, but one could counter that by saying
> this is minimized by a sharp blade, and it's just another cutting
> edge being drawn in a stroke across the food.

A heavy duty electric slicer with a sharp blade is a joy to work with....until it comes time to
clean the durned thing.  I've sliced Prime Rib for 200 on my professional slicer, and it did a
bang-up job.  Messy, yes.... but the cuts were even and smooth.  A sharp blade is crucial to avoid
tearing or otherwise disfiguring the meat.

WdG

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.