[Sca-cooks] Electric knives

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 13:04:09 PST 2005

I am sorry that you and Cadoc don't like the
Krups slicer.  I like it and I think that it is
infinitely better than an electric knife.

However, I am _not_ a professional chef like the
two of you are.  I _haven't_ been trained
properly in how to carve.  Whenever I hand carve
meats, no matter how hard I try, I can't get
even cuts.  While that may be okay in a family
setting, it bothers me enough that I don't like
to do it in a banquet setting.

I don't know where you got the "snaggle-toothed
edge", because my Krups blade is very smooth,
very sharp and easy to sharpen.  I will admit
I have not sliced a roast beef with it yet, but
I have done hams and pork roasts with it.  It
cuts cleanly, uniformly, and quickly.  I haven't
noticed any problems with texture or dryness.
But I guess YMMV.

Huette

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> Also sprach Bill Fisher:
> >I stated before I don't like rotary bladed
> deli slicers, they do weird
> >things to the
> >meat because it pushes and pulls it in a
> circle while it cuts.  It ruins the
> >texture of the meat and opens up the fibers
> and lets out more juices.
> >
> >If you don't have juices in your roasts, what
> can I say....
>
> I've worked with rotary slicers pretty
> extensively, and everything
> you say about them is true, when they're dull
> and need sharpening.
> One could argue that the rotary nature of the
> cut puts stresses on
> the food and tends to tear it, but one could
> counter that by saying
> this is minimized by a sharp blade, and it's
> just another cutting
> edge being drawn in a stroke across the food.
>
> The Krupps machine, which has a sort of
> snaggle-toothed edge that
> scares me a little, is not necessarily
> something I'd recommend in the
> same breath as the more heavy-duty machines. I
> actually own one, but
> haven't used it much. I think what concerns me
> most about it (does
> Krupps make more than one model?) is a tendency
> to flex a little
> under stress and weight, since some of the
> parts are plastic. As I
> say, it scares me a little.
>
> Adamantius

=====