[Sca-cooks] Electric knives

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 16:08:00 PST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:04:09 -0800 (PST), Huette von Ahrens
<ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am sorry that you and Cadoc don't like the
> Krups slicer.  I like it and I think that it is
> infinitely better than an electric knife.

It's just a personal preference as many things are.

I'd happily use one to cut ham or other meats.  I just
don't like to run roasts through them.  I'd rather cut
it by hand personally.  I don't own an electric knife
myself.

> However, I am _not_ a professional chef like the
> two of you are.  I _haven't_ been trained
> properly in how to carve.  Whenever I hand carve
> meats, no matter how hard I try, I can't get
> even cuts.  While that may be okay in a family
> setting, it bothers me enough that I don't like
> to do it in a banquet setting.

I'm no pro.  I've just been cooking since I could walk.

It takes practice to get it even.  It is also hard to do
with no sharp knife on hand.  Slicers make it easier.

> I don't know where you got the "snaggle-toothed
> edge", because my Krups blade is very smooth,
> very sharp and easy to sharpen.  I will admit
> I have not sliced a roast beef with it yet, but
> I have done hams and pork roasts with it.  It
> cuts cleanly, uniformly, and quickly.  I haven't
> noticed any problems with texture or dryness.
> But I guess YMMV.
>
> Huette

Honestly I don't know what he means by a snaggle-toothed
edge myself.   If it meant the difference between shredding
my roast with a dull knife and using a slicer, I'd use the slicer.

My only concern was the plastic construction that bent
when I poked at it in the store.

If I had an electric knife on hand, I'd use that since they are
usually very sharp and serrated.

I prefer to slice the roasts by hand.  I generally don't cook
pork for feasts unless requested, but if any roast is properly rested
it should have no problem with any method.

I am just anal with my roasted meats.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson