[Sca-cooks] Electric knives

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jan 11 17:35:28 PST 2005

Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:
>I am sorry that you and Cadoc don't like the
>Krups slicer.  I like it and I think that it is
>infinitely better than an electric knife.
>
>However, I am _not_ a professional chef like the
>two of you are.  I _haven't_ been trained
>properly in how to carve.  Whenever I hand carve
>meats, no matter how hard I try, I can't get
>even cuts.  While that may be okay in a family
>setting, it bothers me enough that I don't like
>to do it in a banquet setting.

My comments were entirely based on an "all-other-things-being-equal"
basis. The Krups slicer makes me nervous, for the reasons I
mentioned. A more heavy-duty, professional version of the same
machine makes me nervous, too, but to a lesser extent. As I mention,
I was given a Krups slicer, but I haven't used it. Something about
the rapidly moving, serrated blade in a setting that might flex just
a touch when a heavy chunk of meat is placed on that sliding
carriage, makes me nervous. To me, it's a trip to the hospital. Not
guaranteed, and your mileage may vary. It's my emotional response.

>I don't know where you got the "snaggle-toothed
>edge", because my Krups blade is very smooth,
>very sharp and easy to sharpen.

If you look at it closely, the blade in the picture you posted was
clearly serrated, and all the Krups machines I've seen have a
serrated edge, like a saw. This is why I asked if Krups made more
than one model, because I didn't want to characterize them all in
that way, possibly unfairly.

>   I will admit
>I have not sliced a roast beef with it yet, but
>I have done hams and pork roasts with it.  It
>cuts cleanly, uniformly, and quickly.  I haven't
>noticed any problems with texture or dryness.

I haven't, either. My complaint about such machines is that they can
be extremely dangerous, and the only way I can think of to make your
typical deli or supermarket slicing machine more dangerous in my eyes
than it already is, is to have a dull blade, or to make any part of
it out of plastic.

None of this is a comment on you, or your machine. Not to sound too
90's or anything, but "It's not you, it's me." I've sliced, as a
rough guess here, more than a thousand pounds of meats, raw, frozen,
hot and cold, on a heavy-duty Hobart slicer, and after more than a
year of it I was never truly at ease around it. I kept it sharp and
cleaned it religiously, but I guess it never truly was my friend. I
also can't say it ever cut me, which I can't say for my infamous
10-inch Dick, which once bit off a chunk of the middle knuckle on my
left index finger. But I think there's something about the relative
substantiality and permanence, if you know what I mean, about a
cast-aluminum-cased Hobart, which makes the Krups seem, only by
comparison, like playing frisbee with a guillotine blade.

It's a perception issue.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782