[Sca-cooks] Electric knives

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:04:19 PST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:48:55 -0500, Johnna Holloway
<johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
> I share Master A's suspiscions about electric slicers too.
> Having seen someone who sliced part of a finger off using one
> doesn't fill me with all that much confidence in them. Something
> about being able to slice everything including fingers rapidly
> makes me slightly nevous. Do I want to turn the novice kitchen help loose
> on one? Should I inquire if they have good medical before I do?
> By the way, Cooks Illustrated in the latest issue is recommending the
> Black &Decker EK800 Slice Right electric knife which replaces
> Alton Brown's favorite Ergo model.
>
> Johnnae

Well, you can get butcher's gloves to keep the fingers intact.  Some
with Kevlar and/or braided stainless steel.

I sliced the palm of my hand open pretty deeply with a slicer blade
when I was 18 (guard failed).  But those are the hazzards of working with really
sharp blades.  If I stopped using something when it hurt me, I'd sit at home
in a room with padding.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson