[Sca-cooks] Electric knives

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 06:27:31 PST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:04:02 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> I've worked with rotary slicers pretty extensively, and everything
> you say about them is true, when they're dull and need sharpening.
> One could argue that the rotary nature of the cut puts stresses on
> the food and tends to tear it, but one could counter that by saying
> this is minimized by a sharp blade, and it's just another cutting
> edge being drawn in a stroke across the food.

and the side of that blade that rubs against your meat as you draw it
across as it cuts.  so you are cutting the meat and rubbing it with the side
of the blade as it cute.  even the sharpest slicer does that.  I can't get
past the point that someone is going to rub flat steel against the roast
I spent all that time getting as close to perfect as I can.  Might as well
have just boiled it then.

> The Krupps machine, which has a sort of snaggle-toothed edge that
> scares me a little, is not necessarily something I'd recommend in the
> same breath as the more heavy-duty machines. I actually own one, but
> haven't used it much. I think what concerns me most about it (does
> Krupps make more than one model?) is a tendency to flex a little
> under stress and weight, since some of the parts are plastic. As I
> say, it scares me a little.
>
> Adamantius

rotating blades and flexing frames should not be used in the same
sentence.  I was trained on how to use slicers and such eons ago.
I just think they aren't so good for slicing meats that are freshly cooked.
I had the option to add a krups slicer to my arsenal of cooking gear
but I decided to fold the money into my new knife fund.

Slicers are great for cutting refrigerated/cold meats and/or cheeses though.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson