[Sca-cooks] Leechdoms (was Mudthaw menu)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 19:24:32 PST 2005

Ruth Tannahill wrote:

>Originally, I was going to reply privately, but I thought the list might get
>a kick out of seeing what we're going to serve for Mudthaw, our big baronial
>event held in early March.

Thanks for the menu.

>It's going to be an Anglo-Saxon feast. Not a lot of primary sources to draw
>on, which is a bit of a bummer. I'd hoped to be able to access the Leechdoms
>in the Old English Corpus, but I didn't get around to writing to Oxford in
>time,

There is a 3-volume book, "Leechdoms, wortcunning, and starcraft of
early England: being a collection of documents... illustrating the
history of science in this country before the Norman conquest",
collected and edited by the Rev. Oswald Cockayn, 1864.  All three
volumes are online (and downloadable in PDF format) at the Biblioteque
National de France.
http://gallica.bnf.fr/
Click on "recherche", and type "leechdoms" in the "Mots de titre" window.

It seems to have quite a few excerpts from original sources, including
some which seem to be written in Old English.  Don't know if it will
help, but...

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom