[Sca-cooks] Olwen's Rice (was OOPS! 12th Night Feast)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:12:04 PST 2005

>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> > 55 pounds of dry short grain rice.  Cooked 4 cups at a time with extra
>rice
> > flour added to make extra sticky sushi rice.  After cooking, each batch
> > weighed just over 5 pounds.  I cooked rice for three days straight.  I
>still
> > can't go near the sink to clean the last of the mess because it smells
>like
> > rice.
> > Pictures will follow sometime soon.
> > Olwen
>
>Oh dear....
>
>Suggestion:
>
>55lbs of _jasmine_ rice. Large pot- 2 waters, one rice. Bring water to
>boil,
>add rice, bring to second boil, cover, turn off fire, or move someplace
>warm
>and forget. Ignore for an hour or so. Start second batch. Do something else
>until first batch has finished, and then add the sweet vinegar, etc,
>stirring until cool. Place in other container, and restart your 3rd batch
>in
>the first pot. Finish second batch, and restart 4th batch. Continue until
>done.
>
>I've only done 15 cups at a time, but there's no reason 20 wouldn't work.
>Much easier than trying to do 4 c at a time, and should only take you a
>long
>afternoon.
>
>Saint Phlip,

Well, ordinary rice I would have done in large batches or baked.  Sushi rice
is best done in small batches.  The recommedation is filling pan to only
about a 1 /5 th full.  The cooking time is very short and since I really
needed to control the stickiness, I had to remain a task-master.  If the
stuff wasn't sticky enough, Food-Dog would have been a riceslide.

No worries, I'm not cooking or looking at rice again for a long long while..
Olwen