[Sca-cooks] some recipes and questions

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jan 13 15:02:40 PST 2005

Aoghann wrote:

>Greetings All,
>
>I was plundering through my copy of "A Mediterranean Feast" by
>Clifford Wright, looking for some things to take to a local "12th"
>night event being held here in Bryn Madoc on the 16th. (So I guess
>it is a 22nd night feast.) I stumbled upon a few things, and was
>interested in comment and corrections from y'all.
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>First, is a recipe for Pate di Fegato. The book claims it to be a
>favorite of Doge Nicolo Tron (d. 1473). There is no reference for
>this. The recipe is:

I don't know the book; is it a modern cookbook or are the recipes
supposed to be medieval? In any case, I take it he doesn't give
period originals or sources for the recipes.

>The second is Salatat al-Malfuf. In the preface to the recipe, the
>book briefly talks about the prevalence of cabbage in the middle
>ages, and its use by both European and Arab cooks. However, it does
>not tell me if this recipe is Medieval or not.

I've just been through the anonymous Andalousian cookbook. Nothing of
that name, and nothing similar when I searched for "cabbage",
although there are lots of cabbage and meat dishes; I haven't checked
any of the other Islamic cookbooks. The ingredients are all period
Islamic, but I can't think of anything with that preparation method.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook (who is getting caught up on the
list after the Christmas trip)