[Sca-cooks] some recipes and questions

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Jan 15 12:01:51 PST 2005

Elizabeth wrote:

> I don't know the book; is it a modern cookbook or are the recipes
> supposed to be medieval? In any case, I take it he doesn't give period
> originals or sources for the recipes.

The book is a an exploration of the "birth of the celebrated cuisines of
the Mediterranean." It won the James Beard cookbook of the year back in
1999. It has over 50 pages of notes, references and bibliography (and
over 500 recipes). But, the focus of the book is on the context of the
food, not necessarily the specific time period of a recipe.

>> The second is Salatat al-Malfuf.
>
> I've just been through the anonymous Andalousian cookbook. Nothing of
> that name, and nothing similar when I searched for "cabbage", although
> there are lots of cabbage and meat dishes; I haven't checked any of
> the other Islamic cookbooks. The ingredients are all period Islamic,
> but I can't think of anything with that preparation method.

I am wondering if this is a modern (or at least OOP) recipe.

I have sent the author (Clifford Wright) email. Not sure if I will get
an answer or not, but if I do, I will share it. I have found some of the
articles on his website interesting. One article reviews the arguments
on whether the "ancients" had the artichoke. A goodly number of
references are provided. He is obviously a scholar as well as a chef.

http://www.cliffordawright.com/history/index.html

Aoghann.
(The pate is delicious, by the way... )