[Sca-cooks] Electric knives

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jan 9 20:22:33 PST 2005

I'm sending this out to Cooks, as well as Chirurgeons, because I'd really
like some input. I'm already discussing it with my mundane friends on
TheForge, since we're referring to a hand tool here.

Last night, at EK 12th Night, I was helping Jaji in the kitchen, and he had
21 largish beef roasts that needed slicing. Since I'm pretty good at
carving, I volunteered to do it, and was using an electric knife.

That electric knife was the most ergonomically incorrect tool I had ever
tried to use. Its handle was WAY too big (and I have large hands), it was
designed so that you had a safety button that you had to push in, while
pulling the trigger, which put your hand and wrist in a strange position
anyway, and the angle of the blade was such that the rest of your arm was in
a weird position, to boot.

I was uncomfortable by the time I finished the first roast, I was in pain by
the time I finished the third roast, and by the time I finished the 6th
roast, I was in so much pain that I couldn't continue- and mind you, I have
a high pain tolerance- and no particular difficulties with my wrists.

I checked with Jaji on the timing, and took a break, and, at the suggestion
of one of the other cooks, borrowed a wrist brace and was able to continue,
and eventually got 18 done- 3 were done by other people during the period
when the kitchen breaker blew, using regular knives- thank Heaven for the
loan of Brandu's knife- it was the only sharp one in the kitchen, when I was
doing 3 of them without power, by candlelight ;-)

Anyway, it occurred to me, that since electric knives are so useful when
you're slicing large quantities of food- we were feeding 200- perhaps
someone out there has a brand of electric knife that they'd suggest. There
HAS to be an effective tool for this purpose- what do you guys think?

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.