[Sca-cooks] Honey shortbread recipe

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 18:54:03 PST 2005

Ruth Tannahill wrote:

>>>I found a great recipe for honey shortbread using only unbleached flour,
>>>butter and honey online by doing a dogpile search for "honey shortbread".
>>>

>>Recipe please?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Samrah
>>

>My pleasure!
>
>Basic Shortbread
>
>1 c butter
>1/3 c honey
>2 ½ c flour
> pinch salt
>
>Cream butter and honey
>Mix in flour and salt
>Form in mold
>Bake until done
>Cut while still warm
>
>I doubled the recipe to make it easier for my Kitchen Aid mixer to handle.
>It worked beautifully, but I no longer remember how long I baked it, or at
>what temperature. The original recipe did not give a time or temperature, so
>I probably used 350 degrees, and started checking at 10 minutes.
>
>While doing the dogpile search just now to try to give the author his due, I
>found any number of recipes for honey shortbread, all very similar, so I can
>no longer say where I got the recipe. Most seem to give the quantities
>listed above with the addition of 3/4 c. ground nuts. I did not add nuts.
>This was probably an oversight on my part, but I was most pleased with the
>result.
>
>The dough was fairly moist (for shortbread) so I'm guessing it could handle
>the ground nuts if you desired to add them. But I found the dough a pleasure
>to work. I was able to spoon it into a baking pan and smooth it with a
>spatula, but it held together very well (ridges from the spatula were still
>visible after baking), which makes me think it would hold a simple stamp.
>Quite different from my usual shortbread experience. I baked it until it was
>just barely starting to turn golden on the edges, and it did not crumble
>when I cut it. Removal from the pan was easy, even when cooled. The double
>recipe filled 2 11x7 Pyrex pans to a depth of about 3/8 inch.
>
>While on the subject, here's a link to a recipe from Belize that looks
>intriguing.
>
>http://www.thecookietin.com/camerica/b_shortbd.asp
>
>Berelinde

This is very similar to the shortbread recipe I use from a Scottish
cookbook published by the "Rural Women's Home Council" or some such
organization....basically, it calls for 1 part sugar to 2 parts butter
to 4 parts flour.  Just for "grins and giggles", I tried adding minced
bits of candied ginger to the mix....Oh my!  was it good!!!

Kiri