[Sca-cooks] Honey shortbread recipe

Ruth Tannahill rtanhil at fast.net
Fri Jan 14 17:57:39 PST 2005

> >I found a great recipe for honey shortbread using only unbleached flour,
> >butter and honey online by doing a dogpile search for "honey shortbread".
>
> Recipe please?
>
> Thanks,
> Samrah

My pleasure!

Basic Shortbread

1 c butter
1/3 c honey
2 ½ c flour
 pinch salt

Cream butter and honey
Mix in flour and salt
Form in mold
Bake until done
Cut while still warm

I doubled the recipe to make it easier for my Kitchen Aid mixer to handle.
It worked beautifully, but I no longer remember how long I baked it, or at
what temperature. The original recipe did not give a time or temperature, so
I probably used 350 degrees, and started checking at 10 minutes.

While doing the dogpile search just now to try to give the author his due, I
found any number of recipes for honey shortbread, all very similar, so I can
no longer say where I got the recipe. Most seem to give the quantities
listed above with the addition of 3/4 c. ground nuts. I did not add nuts.
This was probably an oversight on my part, but I was most pleased with the
result.

The dough was fairly moist (for shortbread) so I'm guessing it could handle
the ground nuts if you desired to add them. But I found the dough a pleasure
to work. I was able to spoon it into a baking pan and smooth it with a
spatula, but it held together very well (ridges from the spatula were still
visible after baking), which makes me think it would hold a simple stamp.
Quite different from my usual shortbread experience. I baked it until it was
just barely starting to turn golden on the edges, and it did not crumble
when I cut it. Removal from the pan was easy, even when cooled. The double
recipe filled 2 11x7 Pyrex pans to a depth of about 3/8 inch.

While on the subject, here's a link to a recipe from Belize that looks
intriguing.

http://www.thecookietin.com/camerica/b_shortbd.asp

Berelinde