[Sca-cooks] Olwen's Rice (was OOPS! 12th Night Feast)

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri Jan 14 22:43:36 PST 2005

> >Fire!?  Luxury!  Where I came from we all gathered round the pot and
> >rubbed it with wool and hoped the friction brought it up to heat!  Took
> >4 days to boil a pot of rice that way and we all died of hunger or burns
> >in the
> >process....
> >
> >Cadoc
>
> Pots! You were lucky! When I was growing up, we thought pots were
> a luxury!
> We had to cook our rice in teaspoons, a grain at a time, and then we all
> died of beri-beri because we didn't have the vitamin-enriched
> rice that you
> ungrateful whipper-snappers have today!
>
> 'Lainie

POTS! WOOL!! Teaspoons.   What a bunch of effete wimps!  WE used to cook our
rice by rubbing it briskly between two sticks while standing knee deep in
the water we gathered it from.  None of these new fangled domesticated
animals around.  We had to fight the wild beasts just to get to the stuff!

Regin  er... Edouard