[Sca-cooks]Feasts Per Year

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Jan 16 05:18:34 PST 2005

I live in the Shire of Silver Rylle in the East Kingdom, mundanely located
in south-central Pennsylvania (specifically Lancaster and Lebanon  Counties).
We share a small strip of border with the Kingdom of  Atlantia.  We are a very
small shire; our active membership is rarely more  than about 15 people.
We're very heavily A&S oriented, and amongst  those 15 people are at least 4 who
could manage to put on a feast in some way,  shape, or form.  Most recently
it's usually been me or one other woman  doing them, but my husband can deal
with all the kitchen issues if someone does  the research and gives him the
recipes (he's dyslexic, so the research is a real  struggle for him), and there's
another gentleman with mundane restaurant  management experience that I firmly
believe could handle one, although he's  never tried.  We've also got one or
two who are more comfortable doing  dayboards than feasts.
We usually run two events per year, and usually both have at least one
breakfast if it's a weekend event, and a dayboard and feast.  On occasion  we have
run three events in a year under the same sort of concepts, but that  gets
tough towards burning out our people.  Recently we've started doing a  lot of
combined events with other nearby groups to share resources and get extra  help,
which has worked well.
Our closest upcoming event, Fields of Gold in a few weeks, is odd in that  it
is sort of like the Golden Seamstress thing - we're doing the "work overnight
 from Friday night to Saturday late afternoon" thing for making a complete
outfit, and there's a similar competition on Saturday only for scribes to
produce a scroll blank.  There is no access to a kitchen at the site, but  we are
doing an overnight "coffee cart" of donated stuff, and there will also be  a
dayboard of the "cold foods and few crockpots" type, but no feast.  I'm  not
really involved in it since my baby is due two weeks before the event,  although
since I'm now off work I'm considering making up a few cold meat pies  and
freezing them or something.

As Christopher said, here in the southern region of the East, one can  pretty
much count on anywhere from two-6 events within driving distance on any
given weekend, and most of them will have feasts - and most of those feasts are
at least nominally period.  We're really spoiled :-)

Brangwayna