[Sca-cooks] Coffee Mug [OT] [OoP] [HUMOR]

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Mon Jan 17 14:16:06 PST 2005

On 2005.01.17 14:07, Martin G. Diehl wrote:
<snip>
> Here are some thoughts about a place that is neither in the
> past, the present, nor the future -- but somewhat beside itself.
>
> "Trepanning Village Store : Large Quantum Bakery Mug";
> http://www.cafepress.com/trepanning.6426080

<snip>

> "Trepanning is a village in Cornwall so isolated that it
> is located a short way from the outskirts of itself."

Woah, I was SO off with this.  Below is what I know 'trepan,
trepanning' as:

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"
Trepan Tre*pan", v. t. & i. imp. & p. p. Trepanned; p. pr.
   & vb. n. Trepanning. Cf. F. tr'epaner. See Trepan a
   saw. (Surg.)
   To perforate (the skull) with a trepan, so as to remove a
   portion of the bone, and thus relieve the brain from pressure
   or irritation; to perform an operation with the trepan.

Thing is, this does have something to do with the past, as many
cultures practiced trepanning, either for valid health reasons (ie
pressure on the brain) or for religious reasons.

Aelianora de Wintringham