[Sca-cooks] Re: OOPS! 12th night feast

Denise Wolff scadian at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 05:01:43 PST 2005

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Mark S. Harris" <MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com>
To: SCA-Cooks maillist SCA-Cooks <SCA-Cooks at ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Re: OOPS! 12th night feast
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:30:11 -0600

That certainly would have improved things. You are right on there not being
enough hot water. I'd forgotten that problem. More cloth towels would have
helped as well. Even if the kids hadn't soaked several of them playing in
the water, there still wouldn't have been enough. The paper towels didn't
quite seem sufficient, but maybe that is the answer. There were lots of pans
and trays and steam pans to dry off.<<<<

***Lesson learned years ago. when buying paper towels- don't scimp on cost.
What you save in pennies add up when you need more than you thought you
needed because they either fall apart or don't absorb well

_and-

Invest in a large amount of cheap drying cloths (just for this purpose). I
just fill a bag with the overused ones and throw them in the washer-with
bleach after the event is over. save them for the next event in the group
gear.

<<<By the way, no one answered my questions about what to do with pots of
bad food, leftover glop etc. What is supposed to go down the drains? What
gets put in the trash? And if the latter, how do you package it? Plastic
bags full of unsolidified pudding or whatever, seem to be rather unwieldy
and likely to burst at the wrong time. And even gallon cans of glop are
likely to be a mess in the dumpster, even if you have enough cans.Stefan>>>

*** Drain off the liquids in the sink (unless especially greasy- then
disposing requires either alot of hot water and dishsoap, or reserve to a
fixed container- which can be put in the freezer- so it congeals. Dispose of
this when it does-not at the event most likely).
"Double bag" the semi solid remains and place in the can.

Hope this helps,
Andrea MacIntyre
--------