[Sca-cooks] Re: OOPS! 12th night feast

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 17 22:30:11 PST 2005

  Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis commented:
> when Caius and I did 12th night at Sokol hall 2 years ago, we used the
> combined dishes of the two baronies, Steppes and Elfsea, and a slew of
> our own equipment.
>
> the steam tables there are great. we used them to cook all the salmon
> and vegetables.
I thought steam tables were just for keeping things warm. How do you
cook with them? Or is this similar to steaming foods, just not as
directly? Do you just need to do it a bit longer in this case?
> never, ever work sokol hall kitchen unless you have a rotating crew of
> 12 people or more. the clean up will kill you.
That certainly would have improved things. You are right on there not
being enough hot water. I'd forgotten that problem. More cloth towels
would have helped as well. Even if the kids hadn't soaked several of
them playing in the water, there still wouldn't have been enough. The
paper towels didn't quite seem sufficient, but maybe that is the
answer. There were lots of pans and trays and steam pans to dry off.

By the way, no one answered my questions about what to do with pots of
bad food, leftover glop etc. What is supposed to go down the drains?
What gets put in the trash? And if the latter, how do you package it?
Plastic bags full of unsolidified pudding or whatever, seem to be
rather unwieldy and likely to burst at the wrong time. And even gallon
cans of glop are likely to be a mess in the dumpster, even if you have
enough cans.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas