[Sca-cooks] Discussion of usage of capsicum peppers in Asiainourperiod.

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Jan 18 06:57:42 PST 2005

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> Also sprach Terry Decker:

> >>Or could it be Szechuan pepper...
> >>
> >>Kiri
> >
> >I think Zanthoxylum simulans is exactly what is being
> >discussed as "brown pepper."
>
> I'm pretty sure you're right: Brown pepper = Fagara pepper
> = Sansho pepper = Szechuan peppercorns = Flower Pepper.
>
> Adamantius

FWIW, Black peppercorns and Szechuan peppercorns have
very different tastes.  i.e. substituting one for the
other in a recipe would change the resulting taste.

My Chinese cooking instructor (Lucille Liang) observed that
once when she was out of Szechuan pepper, she tried
substituting Italian crushed red pepper (i.e. usually for
pizza), but did not like the results.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick