[Sca-cooks] Discussion of usage of capsicum peppers in Asiainourperiod.

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 07:15:15 PST 2005

Martin G. Diehl wrote:

>"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:
>

>>I'm pretty sure you're right: Brown pepper = Fagara pepper
>>= Sansho pepper = Szechuan peppercorns = Flower Pepper.
>>
>>Adamantius
>>

>FWIW, Black peppercorns and Szechuan peppercorns have
>very different tastes.  i.e. substituting one for the
>other in a recipe would change the resulting taste.
>
>My Chinese cooking instructor (Lucille Liang) observed that
>once when she was out of Szechuan pepper, she tried
>substituting Italian crushed red pepper (i.e. usually for
>pizza), but did not like the results.
>
>Vincenzo

I don't think Master A was saying that black peppercorns and Szechuan
are the same.  Rather, he was saying that they are a form of flower
pepper, like Sansho, the Japanese pepper.  They have a totally different
kind of fragrance, and therefore a different taste.  IMHO, neither is
nearly as hot as black pepper, for example!  It's a more subtle, complex
flavor.

Kiri