[Sca-cooks] Sultan's Book of Delights-- late 15th century

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 18:10:52 PST 2005

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>--- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Thanks, Johnnae...since Christopher found the
>>less expensive one at
>>Bigger Books, I went ahead and ordered a copy.
>>I'm working on doing a
>>Middle Eastern feast...it's about a year away,
>>but I'm collecting stuff
>>early, and this sounded right in line with what
>>I want to do!
>>
>>Elaine
>>

>But India isn't part of the Middle East, as I
>have heard it defined.
>
>"An area comprising the countries of southwest
>Asia and northeast Africa."
>
>or
>
>'the area around the eastern Mediterranean; from
>Turkey to North Africa and eastward to Iran; the
>site of such ancient civilizations as Phoenicia
>and Babylon and Egypt and the birthplace of
>Judaism and Christianity and Islam; "the Middle
>East is the cradle of Western civilization"'
>
>Shouldn't you be using Charles Perry's book
>"Medieval Arab Cookery"?
>
>Huette

Probably I should define the feast more clearly as "Islamic"...and I do
have a copy of Perry's "Medieval Arab Cookery", which I also plan to
use.  I just thought it might be intriguing to include some Mughal
recipes from India.  We see a fair number of ME dishes in feasts here,
but very rarely do we see anything that is Mughal or Indian.

Kiri

PS:  I may also include some dishes from the Spanish Moors, not to
mention Naples, if I locate any!