[Sca-cooks] RE: Discussion of usage of capsicum peppers in Asia in our period.

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 10:34:54 PST 2005

--- Paul Buell <pbuell at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> My feeling is late 16th century earliest, via the Philippines. Alas, we lack
> the detailed source material that would allow us to determine more
> correctly. The Chinese love to combine plants under a single name, making
> use of the Bencao literature difficult at best. Paul

So, even if we were to find an existing recipe from this time period which mentions a commonly
known 'capsicum' pepper, it could very well be that the pepper the author is describing is *not* a
capsicum variety.  Alternately, capsicum peppers may have been quite prevailant within the latter
part of our period of interest in Asia, but we may never know because they may have been ascribed
an erroneous name.

So, without an actual extant text which describes, in minute detail, the peppers or ingredients in
question, we will never know if capsicum peppers were commonly used in Asia during our period of
interest.  Anything else will be speculation and guesstimation at best.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.