[Sca-cooks] Virginia Dairy legislation

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 17:16:37 PST 2005

--- "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:

> Sharon Gordon wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know more about this legislation?
> >
> > What effect could/would it have on SCA feasts
> > in the state of Virginia?
>
> Here is an even better question,
>
>     What effect could/would it have on consumers
>     and taxpayers in the state of Virginia?

First of all, this appears to be a regulation governing the actual production of milk and milk
byproducts for human consumption, and so I cannot imagine why or how it could possibly affect an
SCA feast in the state of Virginia, unless the feast cooks were milking cows and making cheese
on-site.  On the whole, doubtful.  If anything, it will result in higher dairy prices.

Second, there are a number of ways this could impact the consumer/taxpayer in the state of
Virginia, not the least of which is the loss of craft cheeses and other independently produced
dairy products due to the over-regulation of these smaller producers.  Of course, the mainline
producers and larger dairies may benefit from this loss, and enjoy increased revenue from the
consumer, which means more production and possibly lower prices passed along to that same
consumer.  Again, on the whole doubtful, because the larger producers will likely be required to
pay higher regulatory fees, and will be more than willing to pass those fees along to the consumer
in the form of higher cheese prices.

But, as far as the SCA is concerned, I really don't see that this will affect us very much at
all...unless you are a small diary farmer in the state of Virginia.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.