[Sca-cooks] Virginia Dairy legislation

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Jan 19 14:01:20 PST 2005

Sharon Gordon wrote:

> Does anyone know more about this legislation?
>
> What effect could/would it have on SCA feasts
> in the state of Virginia?

Here is an even better question,

    What effect could/would it have on consumers
    and taxpayers in the state of Virginia?

> Sharon
> gordonse at one.net
> ****************

[snip]

> John Beers of VDACS wrote the regulations.
> The regulations are:
>
>   a..  2 VAC 5-531, REGULATIONS GOVERNING MILK FOR
>        MANUFACTURING PURPOSES [106 pages]
>        (commonly referred to as "the cheese regs")
>
>   b.. 2 VAC 5-501, REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE COOLING,
>       STORING, SAMPLING AND TRANSPORTING OF MILK [41 pages].
>
> They are accessible online at the following link:
>
> http://legis.state.va.us/codecomm/register/vol21/iss08/WELCOME.HTM

[snip]

I have not yet read the regulations.

That having been said (as it may have been addressed and/or
answered in the regulations), I would like to know ...

(1) Was a cost/benefit analysis done?

(2) Where can I read that cost/benefit analysis?

(2) What is the expected benefit?

    Itemize the benefit as to both historical (actual) and
    projected (expected) statistics with respect to risk
    types, number of people affected by those risks,
    cost per incident, ... .

    How was this supporting information obtained?

    What is the estimated error in the historical (actual)
    statistics ... in the projected (expected) statistics?

(3) How much additional Virginia: state, local, enforcement,
    and/or judicial effort (man hours) will be needed to
    implement the changes required by the new regulations?

    This should even include training courses the state or
    local government agencies may offer.

(4) What is the total monetary cost of 3, above?

(5) On the producer/distribution side, how much additional
    effort?

(6) Question 5 with respect to monetary costs.

(7) How will these regulations affect interstate trade?

These are the sort of questions that need to be asked
... facts.

The responses from the state should become part of the
public record.

Please pass these enquiries (1 - 7, above) along to both
those state officials who can answer as well as members of
the dairy industry in order to encourage Virginia residents
to initiate their own enquiries with state officials.

Vincenzo

"The penalty good men pay for not being interested in politics
is to be governed by men worse than themselves." -- Plato

This thought borrowed from 'Lainie ... thanks, 'Lainie.

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick