[Sca-cooks] Virginia Dairy legislation

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 06:36:39 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:22:29 -0500, Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know more about this legislation?  What effect could/would it
> have on SCA feasts in the state of Virginia?
>
> Sharon
> gordonse at one.net

Probably make it safer....looks like they are pure health regulations.

Personally, I prefer my milk products to be tuberculin free.  But the
organic foods
producers may be hit hard because many of them don't even innoculate
their cows in a effort to have "greener" products than the guy over the fence.

>        'Dairy farm' means any premises where any cow, goat, sheep, water
> buffalo, or other mammal (except humans) are maintained and milked for the
> purpose of providing milk for manufacturing into dairy products as defined
> herein and intended for human consumption.

If you make livestock illegal, only the criminals will have livestock.

I'm glad they specified human milk is exempt.  I'd hate to see mothers
need to install cooling vats and stuff to keep things safe...

> Notice they do not say  "intended to SELL for human consumption," but merely
> "for human consumption."

"Nope, that's not eatin cheese, that be lookin at cheese."

Apparently you can make whatever you want from unregulated  milk as long
as it isn't intended to be eaten.  If it gets eaten by accident, now that is an
entirely different thing.

> They are accessible online at the following link:.....

<insert rest of reactionary e-mail here>

New regulations mean new gear, and more health care for the livestock.
Which all means more money spent on new gear and health or for
bribing the inspector when he comes by to check.

I think this will hurt the small farms most that can't afford to
update to the new
standards in a short period of time.  Technically, folks should be doing
this already.  Usually when a state puts out something like this it is
usually a
"we are putting our foot down" measure either brought on by lobbying
from <insert big food company here> or because someone had the trots
from consuming bad milk or cheese and took up arms against it.

It probably won't raise prices much, because if they do, the stores will
import cheaper dairy goods from other states (which usually leads
to raising dairy tariffs to enourage (ie force) them to buy in state).

All humor aside for a moment, what you will see is the smaller
dairy food producer take a hard hit.  Mostly  on the artisan.organic level.
This will also drive the slovenly  producers out of the market as well.

I don't remember Virginia being reknowned for it's special cheeses
though.

To sum it up before I start rambling again.

Probably no impact if you don't rely on farmer/artisan made dairy products,
and you may need to find a new vendor if you do.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson