[Sca-cooks] Preserves?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 02:58:29 PST 2005

Here is a simplistic comparison.

Jelly: a sweet spread made from fruit juice,
sugar and pectin.  The result should be
translucent and jelled.

Jam: a sweet spread made from crushed fruit
pulp, sugar and pectin.  The result should be
opaque and thick, although I have occasionally
gotten jelled jams from the natural pectins
combined with the added pectins.

Preserves: a sweet spread made from whole
fruits or large slices of cored and peeled
fruits and sugar, cooked until a thick
consistency is achieved.  Not to be confused
with fruits canned in a sugar syrup.  Preserves
are much thicker.

Marmalade: a sweet spread made from chunks
of citrus fruits, including peels, sugar and
pectin. Should be thick almost to the point of
jelling.  Although I have heard of quince
marmalade.

Conserves:  a sweet spread made from large chunks
fruit and sugar, usually with nuts and raisins.
Although I have found companies that confuse
conserves with preserves and use the words as
synonyms.

Butter: a sweet spread made from pulverized
fruit, sugar and spices and cooked to a thick
consistency.  Pectin usually is not added, but
I have seen recipes that call for it.

I hope that this helps.

Huette

--- Arianwen ferch Arthur <caer_mab at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I noted a mention of pear preserves.  What is
> the
> difference between a pear preserve and a pear
> jam or
> jelly  (and I do know that a jelly is made from
> the
> strained juice and should be clear)  And what
> about a
> conserve?  (I have seen jars of blackcurrent
> conserve etc.
>
> =====
> Arianwen ferch Arthur
> "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend.
> And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G.
> Marx

=====
shall never cease to be amused.