[Sca-cooks]Marmalade [was Preserves?]

Marian Walke marian at buttery.org
Sat Jan 22 06:22:29 PST 2005

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Marmalade: a sweet spread made from chunks
> of citrus fruits, including peels, sugar and
> pectin. Should be thick almost to the point of
> jelling.  Although I have heard of quince
> marmalade.

Actually, quince marmalade came first.  This is the period
marmalade, and the name comes from the Portuguese word for
quince, marmelo. (Citrus marmalades came later.)  There are older
forerunners, usually made with honey instead of sugar, from
pre-Medieval sources, but the quince marmalade seems to be the
first to get to England.  C. Anne Wilson, in The Book of
Marmalade (p 17), notes that there is a recipe "for...'drie
marmalade of peaches' in A.W.'s A Book of Cookrye, 1587, and
'marmalade of damsons or prunes' in John Partidge's The Treasury
of Commodius Conceites, 1584.  But at that time, and indeed until
well into the eighteenth century, the word 'marmalade' used all
by itself meant only one thing: marmalade of quinces."

A great book, by the way, as is anything by C. Anne Wilson.

--Old Marian