[Sca-cooks]Marmalade [was Preserves?]

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jan 22 07:12:20 PST 2005

Also sprach Marian Walke:
>Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>
>>Marmalade: a sweet spread made from chunks of citrus fruits,
>>including peels, sugar and
>>pectin. Should be thick almost to the point of
>>jelling.  Although I have heard of quince
>>marmalade.
>
>Actually, quince marmalade came first.  This is the period
>marmalade, and the name comes from the Portuguese word for quince,
>marmelo.

All this is true, but my suspicion is that Huette was speaking in a
modern sense, what with the references to pectin and such. But then,
I had gotten the impression that that was the sense the original
respondent had asked in, asking for the specific differences between
the different forms of fruit preserves. In period, of course, the
lines would be far less defined and also significantly affected by
terminology differences in different languages.

Just as an example of the kind of thing I mean, I'd bet money that
the pear preserves Sabina Welserin mentions in her mustard recipe are
in fact a nearly-solid cake, like cotignac, queso de membrillo, or
quince marmalade, only made from pears, and it may be a translator's
issue to use the word "preserve", rather than something we, as
moderns, associate less with a specific type of jammy stufff.

On an unrelated note, Marian, I didn't realize you were here on this
list. Welcome! Folk here have been speaking of your baked goods with
great affection for many years, but I suspect many didn't realize you
were here, unless I'm being unusually non-astute... maybe a little
introduction is in order?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782